There is a particular impediment that prevents me from becoming one of them: a wild rush to the freedom of unbounded possibility. It is a trait introduced to me by none other than they with whom I should have liked to settle down.
I wonder, though, if stationary circumstances may be held for an amount of time in the same way as a yoga posture. During our forward lunge in Warrior Two, arms spread wide, eyes focused on one a single point, our instructor asks us, "How does your mind respond to being asked to stay in one position?" It is not only your body that must learn to stay, but your mind.
I thought of this example during a particularly terrible day at work on Saturday. Every moment of it was a small torture in some way. Stress or mistakes or exhaustion, or rudeness or any number of uncomfortable sensations. The hours stretched on and at one point I came to ask myself, "How does your mind respond to being asked to stay in one position?" Oh! Something clicked. A day at work may just be a maintained yoga posture. It is difficult and even painful, but when it comes down to it, it is just a practice of staying in a type of mindset. Then you release it and go have fun, and you get stronger and more steady.
(This is only an example; I am not yet convinced, by any means).
Only when the mind can focus on a single thought/action at once will peace be attained in all environments. The practice of focusing simply on the position of Warrior Two and nothing else is only the ladder that leads to a calm mind.
ReplyDeleteI mull over your comment as I make lunch. Focus...ability to focus on a single action... I look down to discover that I have just spread grape jelly over my bread while attempting to make a peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich. Needless to say, I agree with you! Thank you for your thoughts ~
ReplyDelete